SSAT's first National English Conference
16 Nov 2012
Part of SSAT’s suite of subject conferences, this first National English Conference will share leadership, management and pedagogy strategies from the most high-achieving (in some cases, against the odds!) English departments in the country.
5 March 2013, Skinners’ Academy, London
Cost: £249 (exc. VAT) affiliates/ £373.50 (exc. VAT) non-affiliates
Price includes free English resources worth over £100 for every delegate: Head of English Handbook and Maximising achievement at KS4 English.
*bookings now open* – download our booking form: English Conference Booking Form
Keynote speaker: Dr Marcella McCarthy, Assistant Head and Strategic Leader for English, The Oxford Academy
Marcella McCarthy is a former lecturer at Oxford University, and Assistant Editor of the Oxford English Dictionary project, who is now a practicing teacher at a comprehensive secondary school.
Other speakers include: Heather Holmes (Scalby School), Athena Pitsillis (Canons High School), Brita Yates (Perins Community School), Gareth Summers (Rushcliffe School), Susan Landeryou and Holly Bembridge (Newham Sixth form College)
***SPEAKERS AND TOPICS ANNOUNCED***:
Keynote and Q&A:
- Dr Marcella McCarthy (The Oxford Academy)
- Leading and managing a successful English department - Dr Marcella McCarthy (The Oxford Academy)
- Maximising achievement at KS 4 and 5 - Heather Holmes (Scalby School)
- Outstanding teaching and learning in English - Athena Pitsillis (Canons High School)
- Innovative ways of teaching poetry, drama and prose at KS 3, 4 and 5 - Brita Yates (Perins Community School)
- Curriculum design and models - Gareth Summers (Rushcliffe School)
- Helping marginal students succeed at GCSE English – Susan Landeryou and Holly Bembridge (Newham Sixth Form College)
Who is it for?
- Heads of English
- Teachers of English
- English consultants
- Anyone interested in English!
What an interesting time for teachers of English!
With uncertainty over the national curriculum and changes in assessment, English departments could be forgiven for not wanting to bring in too many changes right now. And yet, as all the best English departments know, the perennial need to improve the quality of English teaching to meet the needs of the students continues, no matter what… This vibrant and dynamic day will share leadership, management and pedagogy strategies from the most high-achieving (in some cases, against the odds!) English departments in the country.
The keynote will be delivered by Dr. Marcella McCarthy, Assistant Head and Strategic Leader for English at The Oxford Academy.
There will also be the opportunity to attend a variety of dynamic rondevals chaired by experienced school-based practitioners. Rondevals are round table sessions with short presentations followed by group discussion.
- get practical ideas to improve learning for your students
- take away top tips, strategies and be inspired
- engage with new thinking and reflect on new ways of working
- leave energised
Here’s what delegates thought of our previous events:
‘A great range of exciting resources to cherry pick from. Great ideas to implement in schools’.
‘Excellent materials to take back to use for staff training. The most useful training day I have even attended.’
‘A great day with fun and practical ideas which I can take away and use in the classroom.’
‘Excellent quality of speakers with plenty of ideas.’