An essential guide to effective governance in multi-academy trusts
This toolkit aims to help leaders shape a robust approach to governance for their MAT. It identifies and unpacks key issues MATs face, enabling the board of governors to confidently tackle the positive challenge of an expanding remit and to oversee the delivery of ambitious plans. Through worked examples, case studies, training materials and briefing notes, this toolkit provides a ‘go-to’ resource to strengthen governance both now and as your MAT grows.
Governance Toolkit content
Each section offers information and advice specific to starter, medium-sized and large established trusts. Key elements include strategic leadership, accountability, recruitment, structures, compliance and evaluation.
Included are best practice approaches for MATs to build the strength and depth of their governance in eight areas:
- Roles and responsibilities
- Vision and strategy
- Governance structures
- Performance management
- Educational performance and accountability
- Risk management and due diligence
- Clerking in MATs
The toolkit’s Challenging the Vision section invites leaders to pair key stakeholders and ask them vital questions:
- Are our ideas bold and compelling? Do they inspire? Will they motivate staff, students and parents? Does it give the whole MAT – not just the board – a shared purpose?
- How will the vision be shared across the trust?
- Have members of the MAT been selected and empowered to act as champions and guardians of the vision?
- To what extent will individual schools have freedom to ‘put their own stamp’ on school culture? How will this be managed to ensure cohesion and not dampen ambition and creativity?
- In years to come, will you be able to tell if this vision has been achieved? In other words – is it transformative enough to be noticed?