How do you ensure that pupil voice and pupil leadership is both meaningful and effective in school?
Our new online delivery includes pre-recorded content and a live seminar with Laura Burton. The course is for any pastoral staff, teacher or leader with responsibility for pupil leadership to ensure that you have the skills and confidence to develop in your role in your unique school context.
Pupil leadership has been shown to be the driving force behind many of the most successful schools in our network; but getting it right can be hard. All too often, pupil leadership is, at best, a token focusing on superficial ways to involve children in school life. But a few simple and tested strategies can ensure that pupil leaders’ work makes a positive and powerful impact on the outcomes for pupils.
The role of pupil voice leads can be difficult, as it requires balancing planning and resourcing alongside classroom and pastoral responsibilities. This online course will offer practical tips to support coordinators in their role.
The course will take the form of a 45-minute pre-recorded seminar which can be viewed at a time convenient to you, followed by a live two-hour webinar. The course will be supported by online materials and templates. Content covered will include:
- What pupil leadership is, why it matters and the link to learning, engagement and school improvement
- Principles, values and ways of working to be successful
- Different pupil leader roles and different models of pupil leadership
- Practical considerations including budget, rooming, elections, resources, and documents
- Removing barriers to success
- Pupil leadership audit and next steps
- A personalised action plan of next steps for pupil leadership in your school
- The knowledge, clear vision and confidence to develop pupil leadership in your own school setting
- A comprehensive audit of your school’s pupil leadership effectiveness
- Useful resources, documents and top tips to be successful in the future
- Delegates will receive a certificate of completion
Laura joined SSAT in 2019 as a Senior Education Lead for the Primary Network. She has worked in a diverse range of primary schools as a senior leader and has also worked for her local authority. Laura is passionate about enabling meaningful collaboration to share best practice and empowering schools to refine their practice.
Live seminar date:
Thursday 28 January 2021
15.30 – 17.30
Pastoral staff, teachers and leaders from infant, junior and primary schools
£185 (individuals self-funding)
£185 (member schools)
£225 (non-member schools)
All prices exclusive of VAT