- This event has passed.
How do you ensure that student voice and student leadership is both meaningful and effective in school?
Our new online delivery includes pre-recorded content and materials and a live seminar with Tom Middlehurst. The course is for any teacher or leader with responsibility or oversight of student leadership to ensure that your student leadership teams hit the ground running in September.
Student leadership has been shown to be the driving force behind many of the most successful schools in our network; but getting it right can be hard. All too often, student leadership is, at best, token and, at worse, meaningless and time-consuming. But a few simple and tested strategies can ensure that student leaders’ work makes a difference and has a real impact.
The role of student leadership coordinator can be difficult, as it requires coordination between different year groups of students, senior members of staff and governors. This day will offer practical tips to support coordinators in their role.
- What student leadership is, why it matters and the link to learning, engagement and school improvement
- Principles, values and ways of working to be successful
- Different student leader roles and different models of student leadership
- Practical considerations including budget, rooming, elections, resources, and documents
- Removing barriers to success
- Student leadership audit and next steps
- A personalised action plan of next steps back in school
- A comprehensive audit of your school’s student leadership effectiveness
- Top tips to be successful in the future
- Useful resources and documents such as agenda, minutes, recruitment and budget pro-formas
Tom is SSAT’s Head of Policy and Public Affairs and directs the SSAT National Conference programme. He was instrumental in developing the student leadership strand of SSAT’s Personalising Learning work and enjoys delivering training on this topic to staff and students around the country. Tom is a qualified English teacher, and a governor and trustee of several schools and MATs.