- This event has passed.
This event is no longer running
Please register your interest if you would like to find out more about Non-Specialist Maths programmes.
SSAT Non-specialist maths course is ideal for those new to the profession or experienced teachers in subjects other than maths, who are teaching maths now or next academic year. The huge importance of maths for both school and student means that having highly-skilled non-specialist teachers is vital to ensure the new curriculum is delivered efficiently and effectively.
The programme will focus on your subject and pedagogy knowledge to enable you to teach with confidence, produce inspiring and engaging learning activities and make accurate assessment of pupil progress.
Over three days, you will cover all the essential strands of maths teaching including thinking skills, problem solving, making algebra accessible, and probability and ratio. A core part of the course will cover the Ofsted framework and the latest changes to the curriculum.
I feel more confident as a non-specialist to be able to deliver a maths curriculum that’s more enriched and thought provoking.
- Requirements of the national curriculum and Ofsted in maths, with particular reference to KS3 and KS4
- Key areas of difficulty and barriers to learning in maths
- Maths-specific pedagogy – problem-solving strategies, maths in context and reasoning
- Teaching and learning strategies – assessment for learning and preparing and answering exam questions
- How to ensure teaching is aligned to the requirements of the new Ofsted framework
Honestly, one of the best courses I have been on
Please note that this course is not aimed at those teaching GCSE to the highest level. Accommodation is not provided by SSAT but we are able to make recommendations.