Presentations from the event
Helena Marsh, Workload challenges facing school leaders
What’s it all about?
The time that teachers have in the classroom with their students and children is ultimately limited by the realities of the school timetable and number of hours in the day. How do you make the very most of this time to maximise student outcomes?
At the same time, we know that teacher workload remains a constant pressure, with the average UK teacher working 11 hours a day (DfE, 2017). Yet many schools are exploring ways of reducing work, ‘creating’ time, and maximising the output for all their students.
This joint event between SSAT and our multinational technology partner is aimed at classroom practitioners and middle leaders, with a focus on in-class and whole-team strategies that can be adopted. The day will focus on five key elements:
- Where does workload come from? What are Ofsted’s expectations about classroom practice?
- Principles and best practice in behaviour and engagement – getting the classroom culture right
- Principles and best practice in planning and resources – working smartly to achieve more
- Principles and best practice in marking and assessment – making assessment work for you and your students
- Taking these ideas forward in your school