How do you ensure that student voice and student leadership is both meaningful and effective in school?
Our new online delivery includes pre-recorded content and materials and a live seminar with Angelina Idun and Sylvia King. The course is for any teacher or leader with responsibility or oversight of student leadership to ensure that your student leadership teams make the most of the year ahead.
Student leadership has been shown to be the driving force behind many of the most successful schools in our network; but getting it right can be hard. All too often, student leadership is, at best, token and, at worse, meaningless and time-consuming. But a few simple and tested strategies can ensure that student leaders’ work makes a difference and has a real impact.
The role of student leadership coordinator can be difficult, as it requires coordination between different year groups of students, senior members of staff and governors. This online course will offer practical tips to support coordinators in their role.
The course will take the form of a 60 minute pre-recorded seminar which can be viewed at a time convenient to you, followed by a live two hour webinar. The course will be supported by online materials and templates. Content covered will include:
- What student leadership is, why it matters and the link to learning, engagement and school improvement
- Principles, values and ways of working to be successful
- Different student leader roles and different models of student leadership
- Practical considerations including budget, rooming, elections, resources, and documents
- Removing barriers to success
- Student leadership audit and next steps
- A personalised action plan of next steps back in school
- A comprehensive audit of your school’s student leadership effectiveness
- Top tips to be successful in the future
- Useful resources and documents such as agenda, minutes, recruitment and budget pro-formas
- Delegates will receive a certificate of completion
Previously Acting Principal at Ark Evelyn Grace Academy, Angelina’s school leadership career has been largely focused on south London schools in diverse, vibrant yet challenging communities. Angelina has extensive experience of developing practitioners at all levels, and of using coaching to achieve these aims. A qualified MFL teacher, TEFL trained and formerly Head of iNet (the international arm of SSAT), Angelina has wide experience of teaching in and supporting schools internationally.
Sylvia has worked in education for almost 30 years in both schools and colleges. She has specialised in vocational education, careers and assessment working. An experienced teacher and leader she first joined SSAT in 2006 and returned as a Senior Education Lead in 2020. Sylvia is currently completing her MSc in Careers Management and Coaching.
Live seminar date:
Tuesday 22 June 2021
15.30 – 17.30
Secondary teachers and leaders with responsibility or oversight of student leadership
£185 (individuals self-funding)
£185 (member schools)
£225 (non-member schools)
All prices exclusive of VAT