Making Student Leadership Effective
Our new online delivery includes pre-recorded content and materials and a live seminar with Sylvia King. The course is for any teacher or leader with responsibility or oversight of student leadership to ensure that your student leadership teams make the most of the year ahead.
Wednesday 17 January 2024
15:30 - 17:30
45-minute pre-recorded seminar followed by a live two-hour webinar
Need more information?
Get in touch or call 020 7802 0955
How do you ensure that student voice and student leadership is both meaningful and effective in school?
Student leadership has been shown to be the driving force behind many of the most successful schools in our network; but getting it right can be hard. All too often, student leadership is, at best, token and, at worse, meaningless and time-consuming. But a few simple and tested strategies can ensure that student leaders’ work makes a difference and has a real impact.
The role of student leadership coordinator can be difficult, as it requires coordination between different year groups of students, senior members of staff and governors. This online course will offer practical tips to support coordinators in their role.
The course will take the form of a 45 minute pre-recorded seminar which can be viewed at a time convenient to you, followed by a live two hour interactive webinar.
The course will be supported by online materials and templates. Content covered will include:
- What student leadership is, why it matters and the link to learning, engagement and school improvement
- Principles, values and ways of working to be successful
- Different student leader roles and different models of student leadership
- Practical considerations including budget, rooming, elections, resources, and documents
- Removing barriers to success
- Student leadership audit and next steps
- A personalised action plan of next steps back in school
- A comprehensive audit of your school’s student leadership effectiveness
- Top tips to be successful in the future
- Useful resources and documents such as agenda, minutes, recruitment and budget pro-formas
- Delegates will receive a certificate of completion
Sylvia King, Senior Education Lead, SSAT
Sylvia has worked in schools and colleges joining the teaching profession over 30 years ago as a teacher of Business and Economics. Her primary focus has been Post 16 Education and she has specialised in vocational education, careers, coaching and assessment. An experienced teacher and leader she first joined SSAT in 2006, leaving in 2016 and returned as a Senior Education Lead in 2020.
Date and location
15:30 – 17:30
Contact us or call 020 7802 0955.
Get in touch