Teaching and Learning Toolkit
The SSAT Teaching & Learning Toolkit is designed to stimulate professional learning, sharing video extracts from SSAT accredited Lead Practitioners (LP) describing their portfolio and professional development journey through the process of LP accreditation.
The video extracts are not to be seen as providing a ‘silver bullet’ but to introduce a teaching and learning topic area that can be investigated further within any school context.
Need more information?
Get in touch or call 020 7802 0955
What is it and who is it for?
The T&L Toolkit is a collection of stimulus materials and resources to support any Professional Development (PD) leader who wants to improve teaching and learning within the context of their school or MAT.
The Toolkit provides a professional development cycle, based on the EEF’s Effective Professional Development guidance, that enables PD leaders in any phase or setting to focus on school improvement priorities for their school or MAT. The five-week cycle described and supported in the T&L Toolkit consists of:
Week 1: Workshop 1 introduces a school improvement priority.
Week 2: Actions following Workshop 1, including trialling and evaluating changes in practice of teachers, support staff or leadership.
Week 3: Further actions or consolidation following Workshop 1, including trialling and evaluating changes in practice of teachers, support staff or leadership.
Week 4: Workshop 2 which reflects on changes in practice, next steps in embedding change and future impact measures.
Week 5: Cycle repeats.
The T&L Toolkit provides:
- A user guide for PD leaders in schools to help navigate through the materials available.
- A suite of professional development materials to enable a PD leader in school to plan and deliver professional learning for colleagues centred around the teaching and learning topics referenced in the video extracts. Topics include metacognitive approaches, phonics, SEND, learner voice, and many more.
- An online collection of videos that demonstrate exemplary teaching and learning portfolios from accredited Lead Practitioners, that serve to stimulate discussion.
- A reference list of research and evidence for a number of topic areas to supplement or extend thinking in either workshop 1 or 2.
- A range of additional reading including academic research, websites/blogs and additional materials related to the LP portfolio topics where appropriate.
The process of professional learning described by the toolkit and supported by a suite of materials, including a professional learning journal, meeting agenda and slide-deck are aligned with the recommendations set out by the EEF in their review: Effective Professional Development. As such the toolkit will serve to set out a coherent plan for professional development beyond the LP video extracts.
Each video features ‘top takeaways’ designed to stimulate the viewer to adopt changes in teaching practice, reflect on their effectiveness and relate to the underpinning evidence base.
Gain valuable insight into a range of teaching and learning approaches that have been validated by lead practitioners, so not a purely theoretical approach, but one where the LP has proven impact.
Contact us or call 020 7802 0955.
Get in touch