A two-year professional development programme for all schools and colleges that has been independently proven to increase student achievement.
Building on over 20 years of research by Dylan Wiliam and Siobhan Leahy, this programme has shown to make a positive impact on student achievement and teacher behaviours. The Education Endowment Foundation found that schools which implemented the programme found:
- learners made the equivalent of two months’ additional progress in their Attainment 8 GCSE score
- learners in the lowest third for prior attainment made more progress than their classmates in the top third
- teachers felt the Teacher Learning Communities (TLCs) improved their practice by allowing valuable dialogue between teachers and encouraged experimentation with formative assessment strategies.
Why introduce the Embedding Formative Assessment programme into your school?
- improve teaching and learning across your school by empowering teachers to trial and refine formative assessment strategies
- enable learners to take responsibility for their own learning through peer and self-review techniques
- support your teachers in taking ownership over their learning by providing professional development and leadership opportunities
- build a stronger sense of community in schools with teachers and learners collaborating with each other with common goals
How does Embedding Formative Assessment work?
Through monthly workshops, known as Teacher Learner Communities (TLC), groups of teachers focus on key formative assessment strategies that could be used in their classroom and feedback on the impact of techniques previously used. In between the workshop sessions, teachers are encouraged to conduct peer lesson observations and provide feedback to each other regularly.
Over a sustained period, this leads to whole-school impact as the TLC model provides support and accountability, and the regularity of the meetings supports a change in classroom habits which permeates throughout the school with conversations in staff rooms, classroom drop-ins and regular peer observation and reviews.
See the impact of the programme
Read a case study from a school that has implemented the programme.
Costs depend on the type of consultancy and the level of support provided. You can choose to order the EFA resource to implement yourself or register for the full 2-year programme with SSAT support. To discuss costs for your school, academy or multi-academy trust, get in touch with our dedicated team.