Quality assure your practice with SSAT’s Framework for Exceptional Education
The Framework for Exceptional Education (FfEE) is SSAT’s flagship school improvement and planning tool. It is designed to support schools with reviewing their practice and planning for further development. It was written by the education team at SSAT with the support of a pilot group of schools from the Leading Edge network.
The framework covers 10 strands of practice within a school:
Teaching and learning
- Climate for learning
- Culture of reflection
- Effective learning behaviours
- Variety of teaching approaches
- Engaging with evidence and research
- Engagement with key stakeholders
- Principled assessment
- Principled curriculum design
- Leadership through moral purpose
- Professional learning
- Quality assurance
View a sample template
For each strand there are four descriptors, showing different levels of practice: Beginning, Developing, Embedding and Transforming.
Accredit your practice
Accreditation is an opportunity to review one or two aspects of your practice in detail, with the support of professionals from other schools. It is relevant to primary, secondary and special schools.
Within each strand you can decide which descriptor best fits your current practice: Beginning, Developing, Embedding or Transforming.
The accreditation process is as follows:
- Decide which strands you want to apply to have reviewed. You can apply for up to two strands at a time.
- You’ll be sent a FfEE Summary of Current Practice form. Return this to the SSAT and we’ll arrange:
- A Peer review visit from another school. We will allocate you a partner school who will send one or two of their leadership team to work with you to review your practice. This will take place within 6 weeks of receiving your Summary of Current Practice.
- A Moderation visit from a member of the SSAT team. Your moderator will work with you to review your practice and discuss next steps. They will also decide which level you are currently working at.
- Submit your final submission form, including your self-assessment.
- Your moderator will award your level and provide feedback on your work and suggestions for further development. You’ll be sent this within two weeks of your moderation visit.
- You’ll receive a certificate and a digital badge to celebrate your success.
Apply for accreditation
The full accreditation process costs £1275 for one strand or £1700 if you choose to do two at one time. All prices exclude VAT. Please note FfEE accreditation is open to SSAT primary, secondary and special member schools only. If you are not a member – join us today!
To apply complete our short online booking form and one of the team will be in touch to send you your Summary of Current practice form. This is not a huge amount of work, but is designed to outline what you will show your peer reviewer and your moderator when they visit. They’ll also outline the proposed timetable completion.
The accreditation process is usually completed in two months. There is some flexibility regarding this but once the process has started it has to be completed within six months. Please note no refunds will be issued.
Are you a Leading Edge school? If so, you can accredit your practice as part of your Leading Edge membership. Contact the Leading Edge team for more information.
Are you a high performing school? If you have an Ofsted grade 1 or 2 and /or statistically significant student outcomes – join Leading Edge our exclusive network for high-performance schools and get FfEE accreditation and an extensive programme of activities, events, publications and support throughout the year. Find out more about the Leading Edge Network.
Any questions? If you would like to discuss FfEE accreditation further, please contact us.