These events are no longer available
If you would like to register your interest in these sessions, please let us know following the below links.
Non-specialist English programme
Non-specialist Maths programme
Non-specialist Science programme
In preparing your school for next year, recruitment and retention possibilities and limitations are a key factor. English, maths and science teachers can be particularly hard to find. We know it’s not always possible to recruit externally, agency costs can be extremely high, and you could be facing a situation where you have to place non-specialist teachers with key stage 4 classes.
If you have members of staff who could have the potential to fill that gap, we can help you give them the comprehensive support, guidance and resources they need to confidently take the step into a new subject area. The SSAT Non-Specialist programmes combine subject knowledge and subject-specific pedagogy, delivered over a three-day course, to equip your teachers to teach up to GCSE*(standard pass) English, maths or science with confidence. Upon completion, they will be able to produce inspiring and engaging learning activities and make accurate assessment of pupil progress.
The SSAT Non-Specialist programmes have been created to target key areas of conceptual difficulty in each subject, matched by approaches that can be transferred to other topics and subject areas. Not only will your teachers be provided with the relevant strategies, but they’ll also learn the rationale behind using them. They’ll be actively involved in content and will produce activities to take back to the classroom and use the very next day.
Our training will help you solve your immediate recruitment issues, prepare you for any future staffing problems, and help you to develop and retain your teachers by widening their experience and giving them new skills.
Science lessons will now be more fun and enjoyable for students and therefore more engaging
Follow the links below to express your interest in our non-specialist programmes. Alternatively, get in touch with us by email to discuss flexible in-school training for a cohort of your teachers.
- Requirements of the national curriculum and Ofsted in science, with particular reference to KS4
- Key areas of difficulty and barriers to learning
- Subject-specific pedagogy
- Teaching and learning strategies – assessment for learning and preparing and answering exam questions
- How to ensure teaching is aligned to the requirements of the Ofsted framework
Who should attend?
SSAT Non-Specialist programmes are ideal for:
- Teachers of different subjects who have responsibility for these subject classes
- Cover supervisors with long-term contacts with a subject class
- Teachers who have limited or no experience with KS4
- Foreign nationals recruited to school who want to better understand the British education system
- Teachers returning from a career break
I feel more confident as a non-specialist to be able to deliver a maths curriculum that’s more enriched and thought provoking