Leading Outstanding Special Schools
Leaders in special schools can often feel isolated and overwhelmed and much of the training they access is not sector specific. This programme explores the four inspection areas of the Ofsted Framework through virtual visits to four outstanding schools across the country providing opportunities for sharing and networking.
1 February 2024
A one year programme with four virtual sessions led by four outstanding special schools around the country.
Need more information?
Get in touch or call 020 7802 0955
Are you looking for fresh inspiration to take your school to outstanding and beyond?
Unlock the full potential of school leadership with our Leading Outstanding Special Schools Programme. This program aims to address the specific challenges faced by school leaders in the special education sector by providing unique insights and expertise from leaders of outstanding special schools, thus helping schools maximize their leadership potential within this context.
What sets this program apart is its delivery by distinguished leaders from outstanding special schools who possess a unique understanding of your school and are fluent in the language of your school community. It provides a distinctive perspective on the four inspection areas outlined in the Ofsted Framework, specifically tailored to the unique context of special education.
What does the programme cover?
During each of the virtual sessions colleagues will share their practice and explore the choices they made in determining their practice.
- Session one will explore teaching and learning.
- Session two will focus on leadership.
- Session three will look at the climate for learning, readiness to learn which all impact upon behaviour and attitudes.
- Session four will consider personal development and the preparation of learners for adulthood.
Every school possesses qualities that contribute to its greatness. Those unique qualities can inspire growth and excellence in others, helping them become outstanding schools.
Collaborate with like-minded peers, and reflect upon your own practise to drive excellence, inspire innovation, and create a thriving learning environment.
A great benefit of this program is that you can send different colleagues to events in order to share the learning across your team, supporting wider strategic development and planning.
- Reflect, discuss and share new strategies and inspire your practice to be outstanding and beyond.
- Consider excellent practise through the lens of SSAT’s Framework for Exceptional Education.
- Develop your own school vision by visiting leading schools and academies to see best practise in action.
- Network with like-minded colleagues and share school improvement strategies.
- Explore practise across special schools nationally.
- Share the learning across your senior leadership team by sending different colleagues to each event.
Session 1 – West Oaks School
Session 2 – Perseid School
Who is the programme for?
Senior leaders in special schools or alternative provision.
Who is delivering the programme?
Facilitator – Pauline Holbrook, Head of SEND, SSAT
Pauline is the Head of SEND and has worked in the special education sector for over 30 years. She has experience of teaching, leadership, training and undertaking research. Her philosophy is that all students require outstanding teaching that takes into account their needs, abilities and aspirations in order to prepare them for adult life.
Date and location
1 February 2024
Join SSAT for free access to our widest range of CPD programmes, tools and resources.
New benefits for all phases:
- Middle Leadership
- Leadership for Equity and Excellence
- School Culture Audit
Contact us or call 020 7802 0955.
Get in touch