Stepping Up to Senior Leadership
The Stepping Up to Senior Leadership programme equips new and aspiring senior leaders with the knowledge, skills and attributes to make the transition and positively impact the teams they lead.
Date and time
18 March 2024
15:30 - 17:30
Five online modules
Need more information? Get in touch or call 020 7802 0955
Moving from middle to senior leadership requires a mind-set shift to whole school thinking. The Stepping Up to Senior Leadership programme equips new and aspiring senior leaders with the knowledge, skills and attributes to make the transition and positively impact the teams they lead.
Virtual delivery enables participants to join a national cohort and learn with colleagues from across the country. Modules are delivered as twilight sessions, avoiding the need for cover and saving costs. Supporting resources, reading and activities will be available via a dedicated online platform.
- greater self-awareness in areas of strength and those for development
- development of key skills, knowledge and attributes to be a successful senior leader
- increased leadership effectiveness and impact
- retention and development of aspiring and current senior leaders.
Module 1: Personal and professional readiness
18 March 2024
Aims for the session: To develop personal and professional readiness for senior leadership through:
- reflecting on what may be different about Senior leadership roles
- discussing concerns and potential challenges
- reflecting on your professional journey and how experiences have prepared you for senior leadership
- evaluating our own strengths and areas for development
- becoming more self-aware, more emotionally intelligent
- reflective leadership coaching.
Module 2: Developing a vision for yourself as a senior leader
15 April 2024
Aims for the session: To develop our personal and professional readiness for senior leadership through exploring:
- your own leadership vision, moral purpose and values
- the importance of vision alignment
- how culture contributes to high performance
- differences between strategic leadership and management
- leadership approaches and styles and their application
- characteristics of strong schools.
Module 3: Leading change and managing complexity
29 April 2024
Aims for the session: To develop understanding of leading change and complexity through exploring:
- implications for leading in a time of constant change
- theories and models to support effective change management
- how we can lead change and manage complexity
- the difference between ‘wicked’ and ‘tame’ problems
- how learning can be applied in your contexts.
Module 4: Leading, motivating and influencing
20 May 2024
Aims for the session: To develop our theoretical and practical understanding of leadership, motivation and influence through exploring:
- the three circles model of leadership
- theories of motivation and how we can motivate others
- the power of influence, how we can influence others and how others influence the work we do
- strategic leadership for school improvement.
Module 5: School budgets, finance and HR management
3 June 2024
Aims for the session: To develop understanding of school budgets, finance and human resource issues thought exploring:
- some key principles related to financial management in schools
- how schools are funded and how finance is managed
- how schools can save money and generate income
- the role a senior leader plays in HR issues and the skills they need to do this
- how they can build on and apply the learning in their contexts.
Arrange a free phone consultation
Speak with Senior Education Lead Dr Dan Belcher, to learn more about the benefits of SSAT’s leadership programmes.
Book your consultation
Date and location
18 March 2024
Join SSAT for free access to our widest range of CPD programmes, tools and resources.
New benefits for all phases:
- Middle Leadership
- Leadership for Equity and Excellence
- School Culture Audit
Contact us or call 020 7802 0955.
Get in touch