Leadership Legacy Project
What is the SSAT Leadership Legacy Project?
At SSAT we have made a moral commitment to support the development of the next generation of system leaders. The SSAT Leadership Legacy Project is a benefit for members and we encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity by nominating one of your teachers to take part in becoming a Leadership Fellow.
The project is a year-long initiative and has been set up to develop teachers who have been identified by their headteacher as having the potential to become outstanding leaders.
The fellows have access to a range opportunities both online and face-to-face, including events, shadowing opportunities, resources and networking meetings.
The launch event will take place online in October 2023 and will be followed by a series of activities throughout the year including three peer group meetings.
Encouraging integration, respect and diversity
Learn more about the Leadership Legacy Project with this case study by Roisin Morrison, Chorlton High School.
Creating a formal mentoring process in a special school
Dianne Propsting, Perseid School, describes the rationale, ongoing research, implementation and signs of success of mentoring trainee teachers in SEND.
An impact report based on a progressive grammar scheme
Emma Hart, South Rise Primary, delivers an impact report based on a progressive grammar scheme created to give children the confidence to push the limits of their vocabulary.
As this is a benefit of SSAT membership for eligible members*, the only costs your school will incur are related to time, travel and accommodation. A large proportion of activities will take place online this year, and will be scheduled after classroom hours, to make them as accessible as possible.
Core elements which must be completed to graduate:
- Participation in online launch event in October 2023
- Three peer group meetings across the year – working with an experienced practicing school Leader. The first meeting will be face to face as part of a visit to the Experienced Leader’s school, the subsequent two will be held online. Meetings will include reflections on what has been learnt so far, personal insights from the Experienced Leader and their SLT and support for the ongoing core activities.
- View/Read curated content throughout the year and engage in subsequent online discussion.
- Submission of a written think piece which evidences their developing practice as a teaching professional; this should be of benefit to the school and be research-based.
By the end of the project, the Leadership Fellows will:
- form their vision for education and shape their educational principles
- gain an in-depth understanding of the current education system
- consider different leadership models and the skills required to succeed
- undertake wider reading
- spend time with highly successful educators
- submit a written think piece which evidences their developing practice as a teaching professional.
Who can take part?
Candidates must be qualified teachers and, if working in a mainstream primary or secondary school, should be within their first 2-5 years of teaching. We recognise that due to the specialised setting, candidates from special schools may have been teaching for longer. All candidates should have been identified as having the potential to become an outstanding leader and be demonstrating the skills to become future outstanding system leaders.
Making a nomination
Nominations for the 2023-24 cohort will open in May 2023, please contact your Relationship Manager today to find out how to apply. Headteachers can make one nomination for the project as part of their school’s SSAT membership benefits, additional nominations can be made at a cost £500+VAT per place.
If their nomination is successful, the headteacher will receive a confirmation email and the nominee will receive a separate email with further information about the online launch event in October 2023.
*Only schools holding a full SSAT Secondary, Primary or Special Schools Network membership are eligible for this benefit. Schools holding iNet Global, Small School or reduced package memberships may purchase places at the cost of £500+VAT per place.
Leadership Legacy Project
Friday 22 September 2023
SSAT Members: First nomination free
Additional places: £500 + VAT